TBLT (Tempeh Bacon Lettuce + Tomato)
1 brick of tempeh, cut into thin strips
bacon marinade (recipe below)
1 loaf of bread (I opt for a pullman loaf)
1 bunch of lettuce / kale
1 juicy ripe tomato
dill garlic aioli
1 cup of veganaise
2 tablespoon of dill, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
some lemon zest
1 tablespoon of hot sauce
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon hot sauce
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 tablespoon of ground coriander
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F, thinly slice tomatoes with salt and pepper and place in oven for about 15 minutes (until roasted to your preference)
2. Combine bacon marinade in a bowl and whisk together. Lay out tempeh slices flat on a tray and cover in 1/2 the marinade (don't worry the other half will come in handy soon). Let sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
3. Combine dill-garlic aioli together in a small bowl.
4. Slice bread to preferred thickness, pop in the oven to toast with your tomatoes.
5. Heat your skillet to medium heat with oil in it to sear tempeh; once it is nice and golden - add the rest of your marinade (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan) and cook until it is glazed and aromatic.
6. You know the drill folks - time to make a sandwich! Add your garlic aioli (on both sides of bread), follow by tomato, lettuce + tempeh bacon and voila(!) a TBLT.
7. Set out a tarp and the garden house to wash your down after you crush this thing.