Mushroom Noodle Soup
2-3 pieces of king oyster mushrooms
1 turnip, diced
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, diced
2 stalks of celery
1 nub of ginger (depends on how ginger-y you like it!), diced
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons of tarragon, chopped
2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock
200 grams of pasta
lots of black pepper
some of that good olive oil you never buy but really should - because, hey, you're worth it
1. using a fork, shred the mushrooms by pulling vertically until you have a pile of what looks a heck of a lot like chicken meat.
2. dice up all your cellar veggies (turnip, carrot, celery, onion) and chop up your herbs real nice. On medium heat in a good sized pot, add some cooking oil and add in your mushrooms. Let them cook until seared properly.
3. add the remaining veggies (as mentioned above), season and sweat out until aromatic and softened. Add in your garlic & ginger and stir to avoid sticking to the pot.
4. add in your herbs, some lemon zest and, finally, your stock. Bring your stock to a boil and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until vegetables are fully tender.
5. NOW, here comes the secret magic, in a separate pot of salted, boiling water, add your pasta in and cook al dente (should have a bit of chew still).
6. strain pasta completely and place immediately into your bowl - KEEP YOUR NOODLES AND YOUR SOUP SEPARATE. Otherwise, honestly, it's a god damn mess. Now ladle your stunning root vegetable + mushroom soup over top so it's a brothy bowl of veggies and noodles. Add way too much olive oil and black pepper and wrap yourself in a blanket and put on Gilmore Girls.