Carrots + Mango
2 bunch of heirloom carrots, rinsed + cut vertically
2 large carrot, rinsed with the peel on and chopped into chunks
1 mango, ripe but firm enough to cut neatly
½ jalapeno, de-seeded + diced
2 tablespoon of pickled shallot, diced
1/4 cup of canola, coconut oil, or cold cubed butter
1/4 cup of hazelnuts, toasted, peeled + chopped
1 piece of citrus fruit (could be a lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit – cook with what you have!)
Dill or any other herbaceous garnish that comes to mind
- In a medium sized pot, add cold water + season with salt, add the large carrot chunks; bring to a boil on medium heat until carrots are tender (almost like baby food).
- Strain carrots and add to blender with your citrus zest (save the juice!); turn on high and start adding your fat – you should see the consistency become smooth. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Pre-heat oven to 425f
- Place heirloom carrots in a cast iron (or oven-safe skillet), season with salt and sear in the pan. Once oven has reached temperature, place pan into oven and set timer for 15 minutes.
- While carrots are roasting, peel + dice mango, combine in a bowl with salt, jalapeno, pickled shallot + squeeze of citrus juice; reserve some extra juice to finish carrots
- Remove carrots from pan, add a big squeeze of citrus and get ready to plate
- To plate: carrot puree on the bottom, carrots, place the mango pico de gallo on top in various places, cover with hazelnuts, finishing salt + picked herbs to brighten up your plating.