Whole Roasted Cauliflower
call it a glow up, call it a come back - call it what you will, but finally cauliflower is getting the love and respect it damn well DESERVES *eyes watering*. it's gone from dinner-time standoffs between us and our parents strong arming us into "two and half more bites" to becoming one of the most versatile and celebrated vegetables. Cauliflower has always been there for us and we're here to give it the warm embrace it so dearly deserves for never leaving our side.
Included here is actual footage of me and cauliflower celebrating our love for one another in the truest never ending story.
ANYWAYS, let's get down to the recipe. Garnish this whatever is fresh and singing to you (I did sundried tomatoes, pomegranate, pickled red onions, cucumbers and pine nuts) - honestly, let your heart soar higher than falcor ever could. The bottom is done up with my white bean dip (sans garnish of course) and some grilled asparagus. get heckin' wild pals.
1 medium sized head of cauliflower
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/4 cup of tahini (or any nut-butter honestly)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoon of dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of maple (or agave)
1 tablespoon of miso
2 tablespoons of oil
1. preheat oven to 450f, lay out some parchment and place your head of cauliflower down. You'll need an oven safe dutch oven/pot for this (alternatively, you could use tinfoil wrapped over the parchment).
2. Cut a large X in the cauliflower that pierces the centre stem in it (thats the real trick).
3. Add all the other ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. It doesn't have to emulsify perfectly, don't sweat the small stuff. Taste the mixture and adjust it to your palate (you got to eat it after all bud!)
4. Rub the entire head in your delicious mixture. Place the entire head of cauliflower in the dutch oven and place a lid on top. Pop the dish into the oven for approx. 45minutes (check on it half way and see how things are going). Poke the centre with a knife - it should be tender.
5. Remove the top of the dutch oven, let it roast for another 20-30 minutes; until the top is golden and delicious.
6. To plate it, place down the puree, followed by any extra roasted veggies, then the cauliflower. Poke a spoon in the X you cut and open that beauty up a little bit. Add in some generous spoonfuls (you're worth it!) of your garnish. Add a pinch of finishing salt, maybe some zest of lemon and call it day.